Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Portion Control, or How Can We NOT Eat More Than We Really Need?



Look at this. The same portion of soup – which is a very nice serving size of soup! – makes an old-fashion plate look full to the top, while it looks half empty in the newer contemporary plate.

And look at these photos. Need I say more?
I’m sure you can guess by yourself which flatware is new and which one is old. And which plate is 1-year old and which one is… I can’t remember when or how or where did I get it.


Makes you think, doesn’t it?
If you want a slurp of the lentil soup, click here for the recipe.

For more fantastic recipes click here.

If you are into losing some weight this year, click here.

To subscribe to my 1 family. friendly. food. blog – it’s free – click here.

7 comments:

ChefBliss.com said...

Nurit, fantastic article. I set the table with square plates that are smaller than a full dinner plate. I have a series of smaller dishes that we use all the time. I use small forks and spoons, and encourage my family to do the same. It makes such a difference in how good I feel after each meal. Thank you for such a great article and great visuals.

My crazy crazy life said...

That is amazing! I need to start eating on a smaller plate. It will make me feel like I'm getting ALOT more food. Thanks for this post...it was a really good one!

Abby said...

Fantastic ideas. I would try them to keep my self in taotal control of my gastronomic delights ;)

Btw, I have newly updated my blog site. Fell free to visit it anytime: www.justsweetertahnsugar.blogspot.com

Thank you, and keep posting ;)

Much love, abby(of mia picolli piaceri)

Kevin said...

There is more to choosing your dinner ware than meets the eye. I like to split my leftovers into separate containers each of which is properly portioned.

inbal d said...

I have been doing that for a long time, and it helps a lot! We "eat with our eyes" as much as with our mouths, and we need to address that as well as the content or the actual foods we eat. Another thing that is a struggle for me is to identify when I have had enough fos vs. too much food. The sensations of hunger/being satisfied are ones that I have lost the ability to be aware of. Keep on the great work!

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

Inbal - "The sensations of hunger/being satisfied are ones that I have lost the ability to be aware of". Excellent point! Me too and I believe many people do not feel those sensations either. We eat for so many reasons other than just to survive, or get energy.

Justine said...

nice article. I didn't realize that plate an silverware became super-sized, too!