Sunday, January 25, 2009

Grass Fed Beef – Part 4: Why Did I Go To That Lecture?

A while ago I have posted a few posts about grass fed beef (see links at the end). I wanted to know if grass fed beef is healthier for us to eat than “regular” beef, that is beef that is fed corn, soy, M&Ms (yes, M&Ms!!!), potato chips, hormones, antibiotics, dead animals’ remains, and all kinds of other “stuff” cows are not meant to eat by nature but their growers-producers force them eat.

So, of course grass fed beef is better. Did you have any doubt? It’s healthier. And cost more too. But apparently, our bodies don’t need us to eat meat every day.
How much beef exactly are we supposed to eat?
Does grass fed beef solve all the problems?
What should we know about the beef industry anyway?

I did not have a chance to post about those questions, but Giyen Kim from Bacon is My Enemy went to a lecture given by Mark Bittman about this topic and wrote a post about it. Bittman discusses these issues, among others, in his book “Food Matters”. A good read.

Meanwhile, here's a Guest post by Giyen Kim from Bacon is My Enemy blog

Last night I went to see Mark Bittman speak about his new book called Food Matters: A Guide To Conscious Eating. If you have never heard of Mr. Bittman, he is a James Beard Award winning author and has written a litany of books like How to Cook Everything, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and The Minimalist Cooks at Home. He also is a columnist and blogger for the New York Times, as well the star of a companion new media show called The Minimalist. I know all this because I am crushing on Mr. Bittman. (He’s probably a fuddy duddy of a man who has an acerbic personality, but I’ll live in my fantasy for now.)

Mr. Bittman wants to help save the world. Or rather, he wants to save YOU and I. The world will still be here if the human race dies out. You can see a version of his lecture here:



I don’t like to preach or get all up on the high horse, but it is humbling to hear the statistics behind the general concept about food/diet that we all know already:

* American’s eat like shit.
* We definitely eat too much meat.
* Meat production produces 1/5 of the world’s greenhouse gases.
* Greenhouse gases causes global warming.
* Global warming can have catastrophic affects.

The conundrum is that I like to eat meat.
But I also like the planet.
And I care about my kid and your kid too.
So what do we do?
What do you do when you start thinking about this stuff?


Related posts:
Grass fed beef – part 3: How much does a hamburger cost?
Beef eats grass, remember?: Part II
Beef eats grass, remember?: Part I
Bacon is My Enemy

1 comment:

ChefBliss.com said...

Nurit, I love this blog. Thank you for reading my mind and expanding on the topics I am thinking about!! We have several local farms and buy grass fed whenever we can. I love Mark Bittman, too. But if we were in school and we both loved him, you would love him more, so I would back off. (it's late, I'm tired, and this is funny right now!) My family (my fiance and his daughter) are huge meat eaters. I love meat, but my contribution right now is that I make sure we eat things in addition to meat. Before I came along they would eat meat, meat, more meat, processed meats, maybe some cheese, and water. So at least now we have vegetables, whole grains, fruits, and some other fun things. The meat is still there, just not as much. The way I see it, it's a stepping stone, and I am taking us in the right direction. I just hope Mark would agree! :)